Wednesday, April 25, 2012

WIP Wednesday: repurposed jeans

I love a denim bib.  It doesn't wear out, it's soft, it's cute and so hip!  It's non-gender specific so it can get passed down to the next sibling or cousin . . .


If you don't save jeans for sewing projects, you can find little denim pockets at your local resale shop or garage sale on children's clothing or most men's jeans which have a perfect little (change) pocket.  

I have an old kingsize denim dust ruffle that I almost got rid of several years ago.   I'm so glad I kept it, I've used it over and over again.  A seamstress should always have a supply of denim on hand, especially if you have teens.  You can save a ton of money repairing holes in jeans.   

Bib directions:
Press and starch 2 coordinating fabrics (the starch will help the fabric from becoming distorted while cutting)
Cut out 2 pieces (preferably 1 in denim!)




 I used flannel for the back.

Sew the 2 pieces, right sides together,  leaving a 2 inch hole along the bottom.  Cut notches around the curves to minimize bulk.    Turn right side out and press.
Place small repurposed pocket on center of front piece.  Sew down along edges using matching thread.  To make pocket functional, only sew along the top of the pocket flap, and up the sides of the pocket, stopping at the top of the opening on each side.  (back stitch to secure edges)

I used heat 'n' bond to secure the pocket before sewing, but I don't think it's necessary.  Be sure to cut out the backside of the pocket to minimize bulk.   

Sewing the pocket onto the front of your bib after sewing front and back together, will give your bib more stability.

Top stitch all the way around close to the edge of the bib.

These bibs will get lots of wear so I reinforced the ends, and used a large snap instead of velcro, which (I've been informed from a current Mom) toddlers will just pull off.

I keep this spool marked cuz it's that perfect "jean" color.

If you're interested in this pattern, leave me a comment and I'll email you the pdf.  






YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN:

denim quilt



10 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea. they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! We are going to have another little one in September and I will definitely be making some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas for baby bibs! Would greatly appreciate the instructions if you please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could I have the pattern for the bib, I make them and then donate them to a hospital in my area. Thank you, Karen Shoutz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I a new great grandson and my husband passed away before he was born. I would love to recycle some of Papaw's jeans for him. I've used his shirts to make teddy bears. If you still share this pattern, I would love to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to have this pattern! I have several friends having babies and would love to have a cute gift to make them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would make for a great present, I would love to have the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love upcycling and reuseing. I would like ... no love ... the Pattern, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wood love the pattern if it's still available please☺

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your feedback :)